Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Island Mama in the Kitchen: A Tip


When I find something that makes my life easier I like to share it.  Like when I discovered a pizza cutter is fantastic for cutting things into bite size pieces for your little one and it can even be used one handed while holding the fussy, impatient, hungry little one, I made sure to tell everyone I knew that had a baby or toddler.  Or when I finally tried Google calendars and realized I could have several colour coded calendars in one, I knew I had to blog about it.

So here's the tip of the week that has made my life easier and my grocery bill smaller... sure it maybe only by a few cents but in this economy every little bit helps right?

I wash a lot of dishes... by hand... we don't have a dishwasher.  Sometimes I feel like all I do is wash dishes. Anyway this tip won't reduce the amount of dishes or the time spent washing them, but it will reduce what you spend on dish liquid.  I used to by the expensive brands but as our family size has increased faster than our grocery budget, I have looked for ways to make a dollar stretch.  I started buying a less expensive brand of dish liquid but the thing I hate most is having a dish liquid that does not cut grease.  I found I was using twice as much of the cheaper brand so it really wasn't saving anything.  That is until I discovered that putting about 1/8- 1/4 of white vinegar in the water cuts the grease.  The dishes come out squeaky clean.. I can even wash a glass after a pan of bacon fat and the glass will sparkle! 

Maybe you knew that already, but if you didn't, that tip is my gift to you!!

Happy dish-washing!


Linking this to Works for me Wednesday.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing! I only buy palmolive because the cheaper brands don't cut it. But I normally get it on sale and pair coupons with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Let me know you popped by and if you have any questions I will try to answer them.