Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Birth of Marcus: Our Faith Journey- Part Three

Read Part 1 The Dream here
Read Part 2 The Impossible Dream? here

Believing the Dream

...But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt (James 1:6)

A couple of weeks before my appointment with my OB (upon her return from maternity leave) I found myself getting anxious so I decided to enlist the help of some women who have been influential in my life... women who I knew would pray for me. I gave them the background and then asked them to pray specifically for wisdom to know how to approach my OB
  • peace in my heart until I met with her
  • continued confirmation that this was of God, or for major doors to be closed
  • safety for the baby and me if I was allowed to attempt the VBA3C
  • that I would accept whatever answer the LORD gives.
  • I was encouraged by their willingness to pray, words of wisdom and support and I leaned on them often during the next few months.

    JDF accompanied me to the next appointment... I got there still not knowing how I was going to approach the OB with my request. I trusted that God would give me the words to say. I had played the scenario over and over in my mind and I always imagined the same response from my OB..." Are you crazy?! No way will I allow you to do that!" Why wouldn't I think that... I had been told over and over that no one would allow me to.

    God gave me the words to say and the conversation was better than I could ever have imagined! While she didn't say yes immediately, she took the time to hear me out, to state my case and then she agreed to think about it and let me know at my next appointment in 2 weeks her decision.

    I left there with peace in my heart that her answer would be yes! I felt like God had moved a mountain and my faith had grown tremendously in a few short months.

    2 weeks later we returned and sure enough her answer was yes... with some parameters that I could accept. Not only had she agreed, but 2 other doctors had also agreed (this was important because in our hospital the OBs are on rotation on the weekends and you are not guaranteed to get your own OB if you are in labour over the weekend) So 3 out of 5 doctors would let me have a trial of labour, one was undecided and one said no. I could live with that. I prayed that I would go into labour during the week and have my OB... that would make life simple!(keep that in mind later in the story:)

    I contacted the doula as soon as I got home... she could not believe it... she knew it was a miracle and was excited to be a part of what God was doing!

    Stay tuned for Part 4: The Dream Fulfilled

    Please note that the purpose of me sharing my story is to encourage others to trust God in seemingly impossible situations. Having a VBA3C did involve some risk and I am in no way encouraging anyone to go against the advice of medical personnel. This was a personal decision and one that I wanted to make with the support of my OB... God made that possible. If you are desiring a VBAC after 2 or more c-sections, my advice would be to become fully informed of the risks, educate yourself, openly communicate with your OB or midwife and seek the face of God, being open to the direction he leads you. Feel free to email me at rusheika at gmail dot com if you want to talk to me further about my preparation for a VBA3C .


    1. I'm really enjoying your story so far. Its so encouraging to see God at work in your life.

    2. Rusheika,
      I haven't read a book for enjoyment (other than the scriptures) in a while. Your story reads like one of those page turning books that I want to keep reading. I pray that God will continue to pour blessings upon you and your family.


    I love to hear what you have to say! Let me know you popped by and if you have any questions I will try to answer them.