Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Working Hard...

Well we have used work boxes and schedule strips for one whole week and I am really pleased with the results. As I imagined, they are just what Kai Kai needed... he knows what is on the schedule for the day and he has a sense of accomplishment when he takes his last square off the schedule strip. No more questions like " what's next?' or " how many more questions do I have to do" or " why do I have to do penmanship?" He can see what is ahead, including the fun stuff and that motivates him to get through the subjects he is not too fond of. It frees me up to spend one on one or one on two time with LiLi and Buttercup. LiLi got the hang of the strips and the boxes by the end of the week and he even now looks forward to seeing what he has to do each day... I do have to guide him along quite a bit but it does help to keep us all on track. Buttercup who refuses to be left out because "I a big girl now" has enjoyed her free play boxes and her tot school boxes, proudly taking them off the shelf and finding a spot to sit down and get busy. We have to work on her packing one up before she moves on to the next but that will come. All in all week one was a success! I do have to be much more organised the night before and last week each night took me quite awhile but I see it getting better as I get more used to planning what each child will be doing. I spent a few hours yesterday planning out this whole week so I feel good as we move into week two.

So what have we been up to all week? Here is a summary of what we accomplished:

Raising Rock Stars (for an explanation of this see an earlier post)


Raising Rock Stars





Our Bible lessons continue to focus on creation and we finished up Day 3. We spent quite awhile over the past couple months learning about the land (soil, rocks, sand), grass, bushes, trees and last week we finished up with plants we can eat and other uses of plants. The curriculum we are using definitly leaves no stone unturned in the discussion of Creation (It took us 3 months to get through days 1 to 3!!) Kai Kai was pleased to know that we are moving on to day 4!!!


our wood and mud (craftstick & homemade playdough) house (God gives us trees so we can use the wood to make things). (It collapsed about 3 seconds after I snapped the picture!)

They have learned and continue to recite 6 verses pertianing to creation and we will continue to add to these as we move through the days. We are also continuing with Kai Kai's Olympian memory verses and the Songs for Saplings verses that we began last term.

to see what others are doing as they Raise their Rock Stars check out this blog.

It's All Elementary ( The School days of Kai Kai)

Kai Kai continues to enjoy math and is working on topics such as addition, subtraction, fractions, place value, telling time and counting money. He is definitely a "worksheet child" and is doing well with the Horizons curriculum. I am sure we will continue with Horizons math next year.

Phonics, spelling and penmanship aren't his favourite but he is a trooper and gets it all done.. I usually put something fun in the workbox after these so he has something to look forward to. He continues to love reading though so I schedule plenty of reading time in our day.

We are currently studying about the medieval period for History/ Geography. Kai Kai enjoyed making a pouch out of felt and string which replicated one that someone of that period would have worn around their waist.


Kai Kai continues to do well in piano and recorder and he started tennis lessons last week which was definitely the highlight of his week!

Preschool Corner( All about LiLi) & Tot School( Don't forget the Princess!)

Tot School



P is for popcorn, pizza, peanut butter... yes, last weeks focus was on the letter P. I had some activities that were specifically for LiLi and some for Buttercup but many of them were for them both to do together... even the big brother wanted to get in on some of the action!! Here are some of the things we did all week:


Note: you will notice LiLi wearing his bike helmet in some of the pictures.. he just got it last week and insists on wearing it to school... I pick my battles:)!!

recorder practice

math... numbers and cutting

penny addition

a pumpkin file folder game (found here )

gluing pompoms on the letter P... notice LiLi's orange and green pattern he was very proud of!

a puzzle for Buttercup

spooning popcorn (Buttercup)

playing with pumpkin pie playdough (recipe here)

"p" picture hunt


homemade pizza

a trip to the playground

making felt pizza

colouring a princess


potato prints


making peanut butter cookies


We had a great week! Stay tuned for more next week!



2 comments:

  1. What an awesome week!!!! I love the pic of your son with his helmet on! Too cute! I really like the penny addition too! Great ideas for P!!! I am loving it!!! We will be doing P soon and I think I may borrow some of your ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Let me know you popped by and if you have any questions I will try to answer them.