Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Island Mama in the Kitchen: 6 Week Muffins



I like making muffins for our family but I never know how many to make. A recipe for 12 is not enough for our family of six (yes, my kids will devour 3 regular sized muffins at one sitting) Doubling the recipe make more than enough but not enough leftovers for a second sitting. I know I could freeze the leftovers but I'll probably not remember they are in the freezer. You see my dilemma? Granted,  not a life changing problem but one of those little annoyances that I only remember as I am making the muffins. SOOOOO... when I stumbled upon this recipe I was pleased.



6 Week Bran Muffins (Auntie Anne's Muffins)
Photo from Food.com

First of all the name was intriguing... 6 week muffins? At first I though it meant muffins that lasted 6 weeks... I couldn't imagine how fresh they would taste in all that time..okay, don't laugh at me.. I am only a little slow :)

So here's the deal, this recipe makes enough batter for 24- 30 regular sized muffins but you can keep the batter in the fridge for up to 6 weeks!  My dilemma solved.  I can make the exact number of muffins needed at the time and save the rest of the batter in the fridge.  And if I'm the only one that wants a muffin for breakfast, I can bake one or two at a time. 

BUT how do the taste?? I don't know who Auntie Anne is but if I knew her I'd hug her!  The are delicious... really.  They are the best bran muffins I have ever had, moist, tender, sweet but not too sweet.  A perfect muffin in my estimation.  And to top it off... pardon the pun... there is an optional cinnamon sugar topping that my kids {and I} LOVE!  Sometimes I make mini muffins, roll them in the cinnamon sugar and they are almost like eating donut holes.  I have now made 3 batches and I always get 6 thumbs up!  Definitely a keeper.  I can't really vouch for the 6 weeks though since the batter is never around that long!


Here's the recipe as posted on Food.com

Six Week Muffins (Auntie Anne's Muffins)

  • 3 cups bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred-the little stick type cereal...not flakes)
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 1/2 cups oil
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 eggs , beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk  (I make my own- 2 TBS of white vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to make 2 cups)
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Optional Topping

  • butter 
  • cinnamon sugar 

Directions:

  1. Pour boiling water over 1 1/2 coups of the bran buds. Let stand while mixing other ingredients.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine rest of dry bran buds, flour, soda, and salt.
  3. In another separate bowl, cream sugar and oil.
  4. Add eggs to this mixture.
  5. Add buttermilk alternately with dry ingredients.
  6. Add the 1 1/2 cups soaked bran buds and mix well.
  7. Store batter in fridge for up to 6 weeks.
  8. Bake as needed in 400F oven.
  9. Bake regular size for 15-20 minutes and mini muffins for 8-10 minutes
  10. Dip tops in melted butter and then cinnamon sugar.
  11. If you are really trying to be healthy, skip the butter and just dip the hot fresh baked muffins in cinnamon sugar and it will stick.
     
     
    Try them and let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Let me know you popped by and if you have any questions I will try to answer them.