Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Math Mammoth: A Review

Photobucket

Guess what? Another review!  Seems like all I am writing right now is reviews!    This one is for a Math curriculm called Math Mammoth.

Math Mammoth offers affordable, yet quality math worktexts and workbooks for grades 1-8, available as both downloads and printed books. These books concentrate on conceptual understanding and are strong in mental math. The directions in the worktexts are written directly to the student, and are often self-teaching, thus requiring little preparation and involvement from the teacher.

The company offers a full elementary mathematics curriculum for grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Each grade level in the curriculum consists of two student worktexts (A and B), and supportive materials, which include answer keys, tests, cumulative reviews, and an additional worksheet maker.

But it also offers lots of supplemental math materials:
  • Collections of handy 1-page worksheets with varying problems, which are offered either by topic (GREEN SERIES) or by grade level (GOLDEN SERIES).
  • The BLUE SERIES books are worktexts  by math topics. They concentrate on a few connected topics and concepts at a time, and are great for many purposes, such as initial teaching, remedial teaching, or review.
  • Make It Real Learning workbooks allow you to solve problems from real-life.
  • States by the Numbers workbooks include lots of basic practice using real-life data.


After  looking through the vast website and assessing the needs we had in math, I chose to review 2 topics in the Blue Series. 


My thoughts:   I chose these topics with Eli (Grade 1) in mind.  Our current math curriculum is taught in a cyclical approach so I figured the topical approach would help to supplement and reinforce the concepts he is learning.  I found the text to be straight forward and simple to follow.  Because Eli isn't really an independent learner, I knew that the worksheet format would not work well for him so I worked through the lessons with him.  On some of the lessons, the others also joined in.

They had fun working together on the activities.   Eli likes anything hands on so the activites were a winner.  Even though he doesn't  enjoy worksheets too much he did manage to get through a few lessons  filling in the pages.  They provided a great diversion from our regular curriculum.  I find breaks like that tend to keep them motivated!

We will revisit these worktexts.  The best thing is that I received them as an e-book and the licensing permits me unlimited copies for my students, which means I that I can reprint and use these same books for Eden and Marcus when they are ready for them.

The full curriculum is about $35 per grade and the supplementary worktexts are around $3 or $4 per topic.

You can check out what others thought here. 

Disclaimer:  As a TOS Homeschool Crew reviewer, I received these e-books in return for an honest review(positive or otherwise) of the curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! Let me know you popped by and if you have any questions I will try to answer them.